Saturday, April 19, 2008

NBA 07/08 PLAYOFFS


With several impact trades this season, I wonder how some of these teams will perform in the playoffs. I picked the favorites and underdogs for my NHL post so I decided to change it up for this post. I will break down every match up and will give you my top 4 picks.


Boston Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks

The Boston Celtics stacked up in the off season by getting Ray Allen in a Draft Day trade and grabbing Kevin Garnett a month later from Minnesota. Most people including myself thought Boston had issues with their overall depth before the season started. With players like Rajon Rondo, Leon Powe, James Posey stepping up their games and the addition of Sam Cassell has made us forget their depth issues. Atlanta is a young talented team but has no chance in advancing past the first round. Boston Celtics in 4 max 5 games; sweep would be no surprise.


Detroit Pistons vs. Philadelphia 76ers

Like the Celtics series there is just too much fire power for the 76ers to handle. The Pistons have been so consistent with their core guys (Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun Prince) they should have no problem putting aside the 76ers and resting up for their next opponent. Detroit Pistons in 4 max 5 games look for the 76ers to pull out one win at home.


Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards

This should be an exciting match to watch, if Gilbert Arenas is healthy look for a back and forth battle between him and King James. Washington looks better on paper and has arguably 3 all stars (Jamison, Butler, Arenas) but when you go against a future hall of fame player Lebron James you are going to have big problems. I think Lebron will be too much to handle for the Wizards. It will be a close series; Cleveland Cavaliers in 6 or 7 games.
*UPDATE APRIL 19th 4pm* Gilbert Arenas a.k.a. Mr.Selfish has gone off talking trash before Game:1 saying such things as "I'm an assassin, I get buckets", "Now it's revenge time", "Ever since they made that trade, they really haven't found how to play with each other and that's what we are banking on," Arenas said. "It's not the same team that we played two years ago." After all this garbage talk I'm changing my prediction; Cleveland Cavaliers in 5 or 6 games. I know it's just a few comments but I think these few comments will get Lebron mad and he will show Gilbert who the real assassin is with his play on the court.


Orlando Magic vs. Toronto Raptors

Orlando has been eliminated in the first round for the past couple of years and they will continue that streak against the Raptors. There are too many match-up problems for Orlando and even though Dwight Howard is a beast in the middle he still has flaws in his game. Look for the Raptors bench to be the difference maker in the series. I expect Kapano to step up his game in the playoffs and truly show why he’s the best 3 point shooter in the league. Almost everyone is picking the Orlando Magic to win the series but they are all underestimating a team which wasn’t healthy all year. Here is my first upset pick; Toronto Raptors in 6 or 7 games.


San Antonio Spurs vs. Phoenix Suns

This was my semi-final pick before the season started, it’s sad to see one of these teams eliminated in the first round but this is what happens when you have the current playoff seeding system. The Spurs can pretty much complete their legacy and become a dynasty if they win this year but in my opinion their time has ended and they are on the down swing of their success. The Suns are finally built to win in the playoffs with the addition of Big Daddy Diesel. I don’t see any team stopping Amare and Shaq down low and the magic of Steve Nash at the point. Going with the upset; Phoenix Suns in 6 or 7 games.


Los Angeles Lakers vs. Denver Nuggets

Who would have thought the Lakers would be in this position right now holding the number 1 seed in the West? Kobe was asking for a trade before the season started and they looked like they were in a mess, but a talk with the greatest NBA coach of all time Phil Jackson, Kobe decided to stay and be patient. Before you know it Bynem took his game to another level and Paul Gasol gets picked up for basically nothing from the Grizzlies and the Lakes are a Championship Contender. The Nuggets are one of the most talented teams in the NBA but don’t really play like a “TEAM”. I don’t know what their GM was thinking bringing in Iverson he is not a good fit for the team. Los Angeles Lakers in 4 or 5 games.


Utah Jazz vs. Houston Rockets

Utah Jazz eliminated the Rockets last year with Houston being up 2-0 in the series. I know Houston had that ridiculous winning streak and history shows any team with a winning streak as long as that or longer have all gone on to win the NBA Championship. I love history facts and stats but this time I am going to go against it. In my opinion the Rockets have no chance beating the Jazz without Yao Ming; Utah Jazz in 5 or 6 games.


New Orleans vs. Dallas Mavericks

The Hornets are a young and well talented team but they have no playoff experience together. Dallas Mavericks are a couple of years removed from the NBA Finals and one year from their collapse. Which team is going to show up? The team from 2 years ago plus now they have a wizard at the PG spot. The addition of Jason Kidd wasn’t looked upon as great move but I think they are a better team because of it. Dirk is ready to silence his critics and show why he was MVP last year; Dallas Mavericks in 6 or 7 games.


I wanted to include more info for each match up but I had no time and wanted to get this post out today so don’t mind some mistakes I made above :-o Now for my top 4 picks. In the East I have the Boston Celtic vs. Detroit Pistons and the West I have Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Lakers. Look for the Suns to take down the Celtics in 5 or 6 games in the NBA FINALS.


P.S. Post your picks and comments as well. Oh by the way I changed the settings so anyone can leave a comment now, you don't have to have an account with anyone.
2nd Round Update
Lakers > Utah in 5 or 6 games
Boston > Cleveland in 5 or 6 games
Detroit > Orlando in 6 or 7 games
San Antonio > New Orleans in 7 games
Boston > Lakers in 7 games in the FINALS


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So you think Boston will beat detroit and Lakers will beat San An.

Uhm... these are hard choices but i believe Boston will chock this round and Detroit will win.

Hamed Khandan said...

I don't think Boston will have any trouble beating the Pistons but I do think Lakers will struggle with the Spurs.