Monday, April 7, 2008

07/08 NHL PLAYOFFS




The 2007/08 NHL playoffs are upon us so I decided to make some predictions and comments on the teams contending in this years ride to the Stanley Cup. It’s really hard for me to talk or write about hockey right now. For those who don’t know me personally I thought I should let you know that I am a DIE HEART Leafs fan, been one since I started watching this game we call “Ice Hockey”. When the Toronto Maple Leafs miss the playoffs, I hardly ever watch the games it’s honestly too painful for me. I still check the stats and scores but I won’t watch a game until maybe game 4 or 5 of the finals. Anyways enough of whom I like and care about, I will make a post later on dedicated just to the yes REBUILDING Maple Leafs now to this years action.

This year’s playoffs look the same as it did to me last year. I still think Anaheim has all the pieces of the puzzle to win another Stanley Cup plus they added more grit with Todd Bertuzzi up front and added another solid All-Star caliber D-man in Mathieu Schneider. How can you expect to score more than 2 goals per game on the Ducks? Pronger + Schneider + Scotty the Stanley Cup machine = the ridiculous stats Jean-Sebastein Giguere has put up the past 2 months (W/L-14-2-2 GA-1.32 .943-SV%) with Scott Niedemayer back in the lineup. Their Defense is so solid from top to bottom even their back up goalie Jonas Hiller has put up solid numbers this season (10-7-1 2.06 .927) so if you had to bet on the smart money put it all on the Ducks. So now with the Ducks in the finals who will they most likely beat up on? The East looks wide open at the moment, if I had to pick a team to make the finals from the East I would pick the New Jersey Devils. I personally believe goaltending is the key to success in the playoffs and how can you bet against Martin Brodeur? He has been a stud and work horse for so many years, has multiple Stanley Cups in his resume and is still in his prime. Their offense which no body talks or cares about and they have reason for that being ranked one of the worst in almost all offensive categories, but remember goalies steal many games in 7 game series especially Hall Of Fame goaltenders.

Now for my Sleeper/Underdog picks. From the East I pick the Capitals due to their amazing record under Bruce Boudreau (37-17-7), their hot playoff push winning 11 of their last 12 games and of course the Russian Assassin Alexander “THE GREAT” Ovechkin. The Washington Capitals actually have a chance to make some noise in this years playoffs. They also surprisingly picked up Cristobal Huet from Montreal and he has been stellar for them (11-2 1.63 .936). With this kind of goaltending and speedy young stars up front they can give a challenge to a good number of teams but it’s the lack of playoff experience which makes me doubt them. From the West it’s really hard to pick a sleeper since there are so many solid teams from 1st-8th place but if I had to pick a team I would choose Colorado. I know their kind of an old team but the Avalanche still have a chance to surprise some people. Jose Theodore has finally regained his form as a top notch goalie putting up solid season numbers (28-21 2.44 .910) this is his best year since his MVP type years in Montreal 4-5 years ago. Let’s not forget they also added Adam Foot and Peter Forsberg at the trade deadline. I don’t know if Forsberg’s foot is finally pain free but a healthy Forsberg would scare the hell out of any team or player out there.

Before I sign out most people in the East side are probably thinking why I didn’t even mention the Penguins, first reason is Marion Hossa and the second reason being they have no playoff experience especially their goaltenders Conklin and Fleury. They are a solid team and in my opinion will be the BEAST of the East for many years to come with Crosby and Malkin.

Hamed K.
p.s. Feel free to post your comments as well.

No comments: